Thursday, March 18, 2010

it's that time!

The weather isn't exactly right for planting around here yet, but I went a little crazy with my seed purchases last week. This year I am trying something new: rather than buying a bunch of starts in April or May, I am starting my own in my basement this week. Tomatoes, jalapenos, fennel, parsley, onions, carrots... the list goes on. I am even doing a seed exchange this year with a few friends to get a little variety. My husband has agreed to build me a couple of raised beds in the next few weeks, and my parents and I are going to do a "crop share". Don't I sound like I know what I am doing? This may be a huge disaster, as I am anything but a seasoned gardener. Actually this is only my second year and last year I only dabbled.


One huge inspiration was the new book Grow Great Grub which came out last month. I have just started looking through it, and I love love love it. 


I'll let you know how it goes. Successes and failures and what I learn from all of it - and hopefully a few recipes along the way!

3 comments:

thamesarino said...

Awesome! Good luck! I have tried several times to start all my plants, but I don't think that I have the knack for it. I tried a few years in a row with different ideas.. and none of them were very fruitful fo rme. It sounds like a great idea to share with friends!
I hope that you are successful and have fun! : )

ChristineM said...

I know how you feel! :) That book looks great! Think I'll have to grab a copy myself. I started some of my seeds yesterday and will finish some up this weekend. I have to keep my fingers crossed that the cats don't get into them like they did a couple years ago! I love this time of year!

Anonymous said...

I still haven't gotten that book and I want it so bad! You know whats funny is that you were the one that introduced me to You Grow Girl over on AR like forever ago! And your garden sounds like it's going to be amazing :)