Wednesday, October 22, 2008

want some fries with that?

My kid's newest culinary discovery is french fries.  Since a recent trip to California where we made two stops at In-N-Out, he makes regular requests for fries.  I considered picking some up in the frozen food aisle the other day and then thought to myself, "Why?"  I mean, it takes about 3 minutes to prep your own, so that's what I did.
Here is what you need:
2 russet potatoes, scrubbed
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch strips.
Put them on a cookie sheet and toss with oil, sprinkle with salt
Lay them out all nice and neat, give them their personal space so they can crisp up.
Cook for 12-15 minutes and then flip each of them over with a spatula, and make sure they stay nice and spaced out.  
Put 'em back in for about 10-15 minutes.

Mmmmm....fries.  Or as the kid likes to call them: fwies.
Russet potatoes are high in vitamins C and B6, and are even better for you if you keep the skin on.  Sweet Potatoes can also be prepped this way, and they are definitely a superfood, full of vitamin A and beta carotene.

Either way, you can feel pretty good about this side dish, and they are a snap to prepare!

3 comments:

Meg said...

Oh my gosh I'm drooling! I think I'll be going to the grocery store tonight for potatoes.....

Anonymous said...

you're making some good stuff on here! I want fries now...

L.B. said...

I don't want fries. However, I do want some fwies.