Tuesday, January 19, 2010

not so healthy

I am feeling sorry for myself today. Two sick kiddos and one sick mama. It could be worse, though, so I will try to think of some things to be thankful for. Right after I finish this cup of tea.

In the meantime, I am going to share some random tips that have come in handy lately. First, my friends and I started doing that "biggest loser" challenge again this year. I am so glad, because I am not always a huge self motivator. I've lost five pounds! One thing that's helped me is Calorie Count, which is a free online tool where you track your food intake and activity and it calculates everything out for you. I've never been one for counting calories, but it was eye opening, to say the least. They have just about every activity on there from dusting to cooking indian bread on an outside stove (seriously, that is specific). And it motivates me to get moving. Yesterday was my first post-pregnancy run. It wasn't pretty.

If you're looking for a fun and delicious kid project, I am going to direct you to The Ordinary Housewife, who made Alton Brown's homemade marshmallows. We decided to try it and they are GOOD. I don't usually like marshmallows, but these are really great. They make me want hot chocolate every day, so that's the downside. But it's a really delicious downside, no? And if you want to get crazy, you can melt chocolate chips and dip those marshmallows right in, and let your kids go crazy with the sprinkles. It's a fun treat without all the additives, and they make cute gifts.

Lastly, let me tell you my latest way to get moving. Time is short these days, taken up most days by my three little darlings, so I have to be creative. Thankfully, my toddler LOVES dancing. And should I even admit that I let him bust a move to Rihanna? It gets us going together, and I feel a little bit better about those marshmallows. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a perfect way to exercise and have fun, too. My kids always loved it when I danced with them when they were young! Ahhhh, the good ol' days!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! So glad you tried the marshmallows! And I LOVE that you have the whole biggest loser/calorie count thing and the marshmallows in the same post. Love it! hehe :)

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Hi, stopping by from SITS. I better not try those marshmallows-I even love the huge bags from Kraft.

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for popping by my blog on my special SITS day!

Congrats on that 5 pounds off! Any one pound off is worth celebrating! Haha!